Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Post 7

Or'do stood, gesturing for me to follow. Around us lay the broken ruins of the Abyss Watchers, and before us, the far wall retracted, revealing a passage beyond. The Catacombs of Carthus, lair of Wolnir and grave of the fools who dared challenge him, now opened wide its stone jaws to receive yet more victims.

Sparks rang out, painting the edge of his trailing blade in pale radiance that shone like the crescent of the setting Sun, as he strode onward, dragging the massive Ultra-great sword as if it had suddenly become to cumbersome to lift. Cautiously, I followed him; this was not my first descent into the catacombs, yet those initial ventures had left me battered and weary, my blood painting the stones like a river of scarlet. Hordes of skeletal beasts had set upon me, and with ragged blade they brought me low, laughing hollowly at my plight.

Yet Ordo had no fear; he charged in with a terrifying silence clinging about him. Like an arc of cast sunlight, his massive blade screamed along the stone, grinding into a devastating swing that cleaved his foe asunder before its empty skull had yet to register the movement. Onward he charged, leaping along several jutting scraps of stone that formed natural stairs along the descent, each landing punctuated with the shrill wail of ravenous steel crunching through bone.

We surged onward, our blades igniting the air in a tempest of shattered foes and rippling light; each thunderous peal outlined in ribbons of spark and pale white dust. Through the corridor we burst, our blazing eyes burning all the brighter with the intoxicating thrill of battle. Before our fevered gaze loomed three hunched figures clad in ragged cloth with eyes of shining ruby.

I charged before they had so much as turned, my blade raking along the ground and cleaving through the nearest, heaving his torso to shatter on the rough stones, as his legs crumpled lifelessly. Or'do rushed past me, even I as was rising from the crouch into which the indomitable weight of my own strike had flung me,  his own weapon burning down from on high, reducing a hollow skull to dust, leaving its owner to collapse like an abandoned marionette.

Twisting on my leading foot, I launched myself past him, a streak of broad, dazzling light hammering against the monster's stomach, staggering it. This was the only opening Or'do needed: he lunged in behind me, his blade spearing through its clavicle, and pinning the monster to the flagstones. It dissolved, leaving us to rejoice in the glory of battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment