Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Post 8

We stood before the gate to High Lord Wolnir's realm; yet before I could lay hand upon its corroded surface, Or'do had already strode past, an iron sole cleaving the door in two and hurling its remains far into the chamber beyond.

"Rise, Wolnir, that we may strike you down!" He bellowed, backhanding the cursed goblet and spilling its vile mist into the chamber.

Wolnir woke, and in anger he slammed skeletal fists upon the earth, his jaws wide in a hateful bellow. Carthus rouge gleamed along our mighty blades as we stalked forward, undeterred by the opaque vapors roiling beneath his jutting ribs.

I twisted beneath his massive hand, surging forward in a crouch with blade of midnight screeching across the earth behind me. Heat blazed through my arms as I slashed, my blade's keen edge dancing against his gilded bracelet. Recognition dawned in his ancient eyes, and in fear he drew back that withered hand, yet too late was he: Or'do slid beneath me, his armoured legs wringing sparks from the cold earth. He leaped over my hunched form, and with his weight drove the edge of his own blade through Wolnir's arm with a horrible, dry crunch like a thousand autumn leaves sundered underfoot.

Wolnir reeled, screeching in agony. His remaining hand scrabbled at the earth, grasping in desperation, yet neither Or'do nor I permitted him time to gather himself. I had already wrenched my blade free, and sprinting with body held low, I pivoted on my leading foot, slashing wide across his remaining arm, cracking his bracers and rattling his ancient bones. Or'do lunged in beside me, slashing wide and deepening the sinuous cracks that glowed like rivers of molten iron upon the curved gold.

One last cry of terror and desperation, then Wolnir's bracer gave, his arm splintering away beneath it. Helpless, he slid into the abyss from whence he had came. I bent in a slight bow toward Or'do, who silently replied in kind. Straightening, he grasped my shoulder, and with eyes of the eclipsed Sun, gazed into my soul.

"The time draws near, Aleorn. Those who yet stand in our way shall crumble before us. I bid thee return now to the shrine, make the preparations for the Firekeeper's ruination."

"It shall be done." I assured him. "It shall be done."

No comments:

Post a Comment