Tuesday, November 24, 2015

He is going to burn himself to ash. Or'do looked on in trepidation as his comrade surged forth, gasping and stooped yet not slowing. They had descended two layers deeper into the shadows, and now stood before the Bloodletting Beast's lair, having smashed the portcullis rather than wasting time searching for its lever.

Or'do strode forward, placing a restraining hand on Aleorn's shoulder. "Rest a moment, Aleorn. You do not need to do this alone."

"I have you do I not?" Aleorn turned, confused.

"Not when you strike with such frenzy and madness. I may stand with you in this world, yet I can do nothing when you've abandoned me in favour of the realm inside your skull." He smiled, a shallow expression that was cold with sadness. "I know how you feel, Aleorn. You must think that my sacrifice was your fault. I too was haunted by the bitterness, pursued by demons of my own making. When I said that I forgave you, my words were neither false nor tainted by anger. I sacrificed my Cinder because I wished to, not because you demanded it."

"I did demand it." Aleorn refused to meet his comrade's eyes. "In my foolishness, my refusal to listen, I was struck down; that was as much a scream for you as my throat could ever produce."

"Aleorn-"

"No, I did not demand it of you, but that does not exonerate me."

"Neither does getting yourself killed again." Or'do spoke gently, yet his words stung all the same.

"What would you have me do?" Aleorn's voice shook, and he seemed on the verge of self pitying tears. "What would you have me do?!"

"Be again the man I remember. The powerful warrior who has a thousand times saved me. The one who showed me such kindness. The one who showed me that life does not need to be so empty and barren, that our purpose is what we define it to be."

"And if I can't?"

"Then I'll just have to find him." Or'do smiled warmly, his eyes shining with the cleansing flame he had sacrificed. "No matter what it takes."

No comments:

Post a Comment