Tuesday, November 24, 2015

"Lord of Cinder and Lord of Shadow, eh?" I asked, the pair of us pressed uncomfortably close in the claustrophobic cage, whose door had rusted open, revealing the rough wall beyond.

"I said what came to mind." Or'do confessed, casually stepping out of the cage and into the darkness beyond a window, his trailing hand snagging mine and dragging me in as well. "Come along, the beast that poured madness upon us is this way, and I've a ravenous vendetta in need of sating."

"A ravenous-"

"Another thing that came to mind." He said cheerily, passing into into the dark corridor and vanishing in its suffocating gloom. "But not wrong!"

"You think we honestly can rule this place?" I asked, hurrying to keep pace with him, for despite our identical legs his gait always seemed swifter than mine.

"If I did not believe it, then never would it have passed my lips." Or'do assured me.

"But how?"

"When you rule Flame and I rule Dark, we shall represent both halves of the Cycle; at my side shall you command light, as at yours, I command shadow. We will at last end this damnable continuity by merging both, indubitably changing the realm, but tempering it as well. What is left before us, will be a place ruled by neither Flame nor Dark." He halted suddenly, his features masked in the darkness, yet undoubtedly shadowed as much in grim certainty as they were in gloom. "Where neither you nor I need feel that clawing hopelessness again. Where we can forget our sorrow, forget the anguish, forget the torment of our past and seize each day with endless vigor."

"That sounds wondrous," I admitted. "Wondrous as the starlit heavens and just so far from our reach."

"On the shoulders of titans even the heavens draw near." He smiled, turning to an archway that shone like a glorious sunrise, casting a halo of pale yet stalwart light across our features as we strode from blackest void to pale, brittle twilight. "And the two of us are both titans in our own right."

No comments:

Post a Comment