Thursday, November 26, 2015

I realized that I had knelt, dragged to the earth by the leaden mantle of fading anger. Rising, I strode through the revealed door, and paused a moment on the threshold. How many foes awaited me? How would I escape this place? Defeat flooded through me, a sense of hopelessness that quenched even the Cinder's heat. Cold, afraid for the first time in my immortal life, I sank to the ground, unable to rally the will to move on.

"Pathetic!" I slammed an iron fist against the stones, growling in helpless fury. "You shall not keep me here!" I was not certain to whom I cried, yet my shouts went predictably unanswered. Sorrow filled me, and in its glacial wake crept the vile, repulsive tendrils of shame. "Why must I always be so helpless?" I whispered.

Because you choose to be. I jerked, surprised. Casting about, I nearly embarrassed myself by demanding the speaker's source, when I knew fully that it came from within my own skull. Rise, Ashen One. It was the Keeper's voice, and her words chilled me despite the warmth with which they were spoken.

"I am sorry" My voice broke pitifully, and I buried my face in my hands. "I murdered you!"

You did what you believed to be right. I sensed that she would weather no further argument on the matter. Now rise, Ashen One. Cowering neither suits nor is demanded of you. 

"What point is there?" I felt her eyes upon me, chastising in their judgemental silence."Alright, alright." I stood, brushing the dust from my calves and thighs. "I'll stop brooding and get on with it."

She remained silent, yet I had the impression that she was smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment