Tuesday, November 24, 2015

I was once again jolted from reverie, realizing at once that while undead did not sleep as mortals did, when basking in the Fire's glow, it was easy to lose one's self. Or'do was standing across the way, framed against the deep alcove in which an elevator -nothing more than a plate set into the stones- rested. His eyes were bright with concern, his manner pensive. I knew at once that I had lost myself for some time.

"How long have I been like this?" I ventured cautiously, fearing the answer.

"Perhaps a quarter hour; I would be more accurate, but I've lost my sundial." He smiled weakly, then approached, kneeling at my side. "When I spoke you did not react, when I prodded you, there was no hint of life. It was as if you had turned to stone."

"I am dying, Or'do." The words ripped themselves from me, my heart suddenly heavy with a mantle of ice.

"I know." He said solemnly, clasping my hand in his own, seeking to comfort me, yet only intensifying my despair. This place was not merely the Dark that undead could wield, but the deep, all consuming void that drove Aldritch to madness, and while sustaining Or'do leeched away my life with every breath. "I'd have mentioned it, but I knew you would tell me in your own time."

"I need to see the Sun again." My voice broke, my vision blurring and darkening at its fringes. "I need to see it one last time." Or'do tightened his grip as if this alone would anchor me, would prevent me from slipping away.

"You will." He promised. Releasing my hand, Or'do stood, gesturing at the earth near me, tendrils of stone crawling over my body, creating a globe that covered me, yet allowed the Fire's warmth and Light to seek through long, regularly spaced gashes. "I cannot have you following me this time." He smiled wryly.

"Don't think I will not pick up this floor if I must!" I gasped, my breath suddenly ripped away. Pain wracked my body, and I crumpled to the earth, a fine glowing mist trickling from my parted lips. Or'do turned away, pain clear on his face, and strode toward the elevator.

Wait for me, Aleorn. He thought. There is no hope without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment