Tuesday, November 24, 2015

"What do you mean?" I asked, fear gripping my heart with its fingers of cold, rough steel.

"Ah nothing." He waved away my question, then noting the sadness in my eyes, sighed and relented. "The Aspect is something I have felt lurking of late, yet only now realized I could call forth. As I master the Dark, I shall become something like it, a god among men."

"May we reach those heights together!" I raised my empty hand as if in a hearty toast. "With our foes crumpled beneath!"

"Here here!" Or'do laughed, his resonant voice ringing through the empty chamber. "I know you fear for me, Aleorn, but keep enough of your wits to defend yourself, eh?"

"A good plan." Mail clinked and whispered in its sibilant voice as I lowered my arm. "As I master Flame, so shall you master Dark. I pity the mindless imbecile foolish enough to challenge us both."

"As do I." He smiled, eyes gleaming with mirth. "Come, the Wet Nurse awaits."

"I shan't challenge Gehrman alone this time." I said, hurrying to keep pace with him.

"I know." A look of comic menace crossed his face. "And if you try without me again, you shall know my wrath!"

"I'm shaking in my boots." I deadpanned, breaking into a grin as he laughed.

"Come along, my maiden. We've beasts to slay." He strode off into the endless night, painted crimson by the bloodied moon's fitful light.

He becomes ever more the Vessel of Darkness' Rebirth, Ashen One. The Keeper's spectral hand rested on my shoulder, halting me where I stood as surely as any wall of stone and mortar.

"It matters not." I whispered. "Let the Dark try." Iron filled my bones, fire flooded my veins. I clenched a fist that wept tears of fire, and raised eyes of smouldering coal. "Neither Dark nor Flame shall take him from me."

No comments:

Post a Comment