Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Lacrimosa sank greedily into the stones, burying its molten blade to the curve of its serpentine hilt, glowing faintly through the gouge wrought by its descent. I collapsed, folding my hands atop its pommel, an almond of light upon the ornamental oval pulsing as if with the beating of another heart, shining through my fingers in bands of silver and gold. Across the way, Or'do dragged himself into the Bonfire's halo, his skin bristling, weeping vipers of pale steam as he weathered in stoic silence, the agony Light lavished upon him.

Nodding to my embedded sword, he rasped: "How did you do that?"

I could only shrug. "When I reached within to flare the Cinder, I found its affinity pouring through me in new, unexpected ways. I thought of a sword, and the name Lacrimosa flashed through my mind, heralding its arrival."

"Amazing as always, Aleorn. Your powers know no limit it seems." He sounded genuinely impressed, bringing the soft red glow of embarrassment to my cheeks. Praise was not something to which I was accustomed.

"Dark is Light's mirror, each reflecting what the other cannot bear to see." Instinctively, I reached a mental hand inward, stroking the molten Cinder, drawing upon its warmth. Again, the name Lacrimosa, and the knowledge that it would answer my call. "As I have mastered Light, you have mastered Dark; once, we employed both in equal measure, yet in service of the Flame, we favoured its power. You have now chosen the Dark, and just as I can now beckon Lacrimosa, I believe the Dark has bestowed such a blade upon you. Think of its name, probe the Dark within, and feel for the Creation that harnesses it."

"Its name eh?" He rose, thrusting a hand heavenward as if holding a torch aloft. "Come to me, Squats, Bearer of Tremendous Thighs!"

I coughed a laugh, its harshness mellowing into true laughter as I digested his words. "I do not think that is quite right." I managed through a fit of unexpected yet welcome laughter.

"Sure it is." Or'do glowered at the empty air before him. "Squats just doesn't want to come out yet."

The image of him with hand raised in expectation, glaring angrily at the emptiness, nearly paralyzed me with laughter. This was one of those moments I summoned in the dark days that followed, one of my few remaining torches to hold back the suffocating darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment