Tuesday, November 24, 2015

"Mrraaaah!" Or'do smashed through the last of his foes; a slender figure draped in grey and wielding a now forcefully discarded scimitar. It lay sundered beneath him, its blood gleaming like spilled pitch in the waning light, its blade an arc of mercury upon the stones. Without hesitation, Or'do strode into the elevator beyond, shifting his weight impatiently as it ascended. When he realized that what lay beyond was another gate of fog, nearly the last of their evermore rapidly dwindling foes, he paused.
Aleorn. Fingers of iron clenched at his sides, the sharp pain of cartilage sifting in his wrists, quenching the flame of bloodlust from his eyes. If accompany me you do, perish you shall. The thought chilled him more than he would ever admit.

If I take you with me, then the last I shall ever see of you, is your body thrown upon the stones. The last I will hear of your merry voice, is the shattered tones Death wrings from your throat. Dust swelled beneath his soles, flaring out with each step as if it were water through which he strode. I will finish this quickly, my friend. Rest well, Aleorn. 

Anger blazed through him, filling his veins like rivers of fire. They dared hurt you. They dared strike you down. They dared try to take you from me! Metal screamed in its shrill voice as he clenched his gauntleted fists, shattering the metal that clung to his fingers. They shall learn the depth of their mistake! He paused, a hand resting upon the veil of mist, and turned; expecting Aleorn to come staggering after him any moment.

Aleorn. You were the brother I never had, and the comrade I cannot lose. He shook his head slowly. I cannot bring you into this, knowing that you will only die. Forgive me, for I must defy you. A slashed hand bore him through that frail curtain, and into the dark chamber beyond.
***
Before Or'do's blazing eyes lay nothing more threatening than a baby's carriage, from which soft, puling cries issued. Confused, he strode toward it, head cocked in bewilderment. Overhead, the rush of displaced air alerted him moments before an immense figure clad in feathers of shimmering black, slammed to the earth before him. She crouched protectively over the carriage, then slowly raised a deeply cowled face, hidden eyes regarding him balefully. Hissing in ominous chorus, four slender blades slid from their sheaths. 


No comments:

Post a Comment