Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Or'do smashed an armored fist against the nearest foe, feeling only a burst of icy pain in his shoulder, and a slight tug on his arm as if by hesitant, supplicant hands, as his arm passed through the monster's roiling flesh, spraying its comrades with the foulness that inhabited its veins. The Cinder within him, was fading, and despite his anger, there was nothing more he could do to kindle it. Around him a thousand lay in the crumpled, ignoble postures that death merrily arranged, yet scores still writhed from the earth, or came in chariots of stone and fire from the heavens themselves.

Or'do placed a fond hand on Aleorn's shoulder, both laughing, elated as they stood over the Soul's limp frame.

Again, he lunged, the Cinder cold in his breast, yet his limbs still moving, still laying about with hammer blows.

"I cherished his company." Or'do thought. "He was more than I thought possible in this bleak world; another like me. Someone to drive away the loneliness of this sordid place."

"I've been meaning to ask you for some time." Aleorn gestured widely, capturing Or'do's entire body with a sweep of his gloved hand. "Why do you appear as I do?"

Or'do shrugged. "No reason." He grimaced beneath Aleorn's stare. "Alright, alright!" Or'do laughed, raising his hands palm outward in mock surrender. "Before I came to your world, I had conquered mine. When I slew the Soul, I gained something, the first trace of the Cinder we now bear. I saw you, Aleorn. Struggling, fighting with all your might to resist that which was inevitable, much as I once did."

"So you stole my look?" 

"Not exactly," Or'do laughed again. "I was selfish, unkind, even cruel. I cared not for you, in fact I was merely amused at your piteous struggle. At the helplessness in your eyes, the fury that could find no release. Then, I strode off again, to face once more the Soul. Yet this time, something was different. With flame of white and eyes of shadow, he matched me blow for blow. He smote me down, tore the frail Cinder from my chest, and left me there, bleeding and frail."

"The Soul?" Aleorn asked, almost hesitant to interject, fearing perhaps that Or'do would once more withdraw into that taciturn ally who neither smiled nor laughed, neither spoke nor cheered, whose eyes never wept nor glittered with that characteristic merriment. 

"Aye. The Darkness had taken him, as I." He paused, uncertain. "Took you."

Aleorn stared on in shock. "You what?!"

"I was fortunate, when my life faded, I remembered you, recalled vividly your struggle, and felt you fall. I stole your body, Aleorn. I became your twin when you reformed. When I saw you, I could not speak, could not find the words to capture my sorrow: I had exploited you as I had so many others, yet this time, I felt different, I felt guilty. I thought you would never forgive me, Aleorn. That once and forevermore, I would be alone."

"That will never happen." Aleorn promised. "No matter how you came to my side, I'll let nothing tear you from it."

"I really did care for him." Or'do thought. "And now, I will throw it all away." He fell to his knees once more, brought low by their ceaseless onslaught. He closed his mental hand around the shadow that lurked beside the light, the Dark that dwelt were Cinder had glowed. From within swelled a horrible cold, a frigid flame that welled from the deepest part of his heart, where only the bleakest sorrow lay. "DAMN YOU!" He screamed, tears burning from the corners of his eyes as he touched the darkness, and let it flood through him. His vision faltered, turned ashen, and faded. "I'm sorry, Aleorn." He whispered. "But I guess I still am that selfish coward who stole your corpse." One last tear streamed along his cheek. "Forgive me."


No comments:

Post a Comment