Tuesday, November 24, 2015

"Once more we are trapped here." I glanced around, noting that this time, those walls of stone were clad in shivering vines of luminous white that trailed thick, quivering bulbs of molten sapphire. "Wherever that is."

"It is deeper than the others." Or'do dragged a hand against the wall, its fingers dipping into its grooves, gliding over its damply glistening ridges. "Far more ancient."

"Can you free us?" My gaze fell, dragged earthward by shame. "The Flame responds to me, yet I am too weary. I cannot summon its light in sufficient brilliance to banish the darkness of which this place is forged."

"No, yet not for the same reason." Or'do clasped my shoulder gently. "Exhaustion is not worthy of shame, Aleorn. But you know what is?"

I humored him with a glance. He grinned broadly, goading me for a reply. I felt neither will nor desire to speak, yet I knew him well: if I said nothing, we would sit here this way for some time.

"What?" My question prompted an even broader grin.

"Aspect of Blazing Shadow." He smirked, then burst into genuine laughter as I reddened.

"I came up with it on the spot, Or'do. Have some mercy." I mumbled, exaggerating my shame and breaking into a grin of my own.

"Blazing Shadow, eh? How about 'Flaming Darkness' or 'Firstname Lastname'?"

"I like the sound of Firstname Lastname." Our laughter rang through the barren halls, an alien knell that shuddered through the vines, and scattered the softly glowing motes drifting through the long untouched air. I had missed this more than I would ever admit. Our camaraderie was the reason for my survival in many ways, and not least because of the hope if gave me. Hope, was the flame that would vanquish the Dark, but in this world, and my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment