Tuesday, November 24, 2015

"Wait here, my fragile maiden." Or'do set me beneath the lavender glow of a wilting lantern. We - or he, rather - crouched behind a jutting shelf of rock, which upon cursory examination was revealed to be protruding skulls with jaws opened wide in shock or terror. Above and several meters beyond loomed a massive fortress, its windows lit from within by a soft sapphire glow that washed over the jutting spires like pale moonlight. Or'do and I knew well the falsehood of its tranquility; a mere stride into its light, and the window would immediately flare harsh orange, and cast madness upon us.

"Do I have a choice?" I managed through gritted teeth.

"Well if you're feeling exceptionally vital you could writhe after me." Or'do said this offhandedly enough, yet a tremor in his tone betrayed his concern. He lingered there, staring down at me, perhaps afraid that it his eyes left my fragile body, it would dissolve as city of sand before the rising surf.

"Go on then." I gestured weakly. "We've more than a few battles before us."

He nodded, and drawing his ornate greatsword, the blade that Ludwig himself wielded, Or'do strode valiantly toward the cliff far to our left. I sighed, collapsing now that his stare no longer held me aloft. Every muscle burned like sifting embers, every breath was a fresh burst of agony. The Dark and Light clashed with each heartbeat. I knew my time here grew short.

"Damn it." I clawed at the ground beneath me. "Damn it!" I strained, my bicep bulging and trembling as I lifted myself into a half sitting position, then to a crouch. "Damn it all!" I surged to my feet, standing unsteadily, swaying and weak, yet standing no less. If these days were to be my last, then I would not lose the chance to be a part of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment